Tier II Reporting Procedures have been Reduced by 7 - 10 Months
A state’s environmental agency, which manages Tier II Reports for their entire state, suffered from a chronic inability to complete compliance reviews for the thousands of facilities that reported annually and respond to citizen requests in a timely manner. Identified problems included the cumbersome, manual, paper based process, complex business rules, and shortages in resources.
Old Process was Cumbersome for Businesses
- Large companies storing large chemical inventories usually submitted forms that were hundreds of pages long.
- Businesses outsourced filing to third party consultants.
- Forms sent to the state using the Tier 2 Submit disks received from facilities had import problems.
- Each year, companies would have to go through the same process
Manual Process was Daunting for Effective Compliance
- One full year of reports were not reviewed.
- Back year reports were stored in six rolling shelves.
- On average, it took the program team more than 6 months to complete inventory data entry and review.
- Inaccurate facilities counts, chemical counts, and report results.
- Information was shared to First Responders only after the review and data entry was complete,making the information more stale for First Responders.
- A single Citizen Right-to-Know and Freedom of Information Act request processing took one week.
Critical Data sharing to First Responders was Slow
- Data shared to first responders was at best 6 months old and at worst 18 months old.
- Data stored on disks or on paper were difficult to retrieve.
- Reports did not provide first aid or other chemical profile information, requiring Responders to consult several sources.
New Capabilities Boost Productivity
Up-to-Date Compliance, Rapid Response to Citizens
- On average, 7-10 months have been reduced for report review and data sharing.
- The user-friendly features significantly reduce data entry, which also reduces error.
- Administrators are up-to-date on compliance review.
- The online system reduced the administrative workload of 3 data entry personnel annually to focus on more value added activities like enforcement, education, and outreach.
- Approximately 500 double reporting or under reporting facilities were identified.
- System imports from Tier 2 Submit for facilities still submitting by disk, increasing submission options while reducing time for importing data.
- Responding to Citizen Right-to-Know requests takes just an hour as opposed to one week.
“The TIER II MANAGER™ provides regu-lated industries with an easy-to-use data input method while consolidating chemical inventory processing, invoicing, compliance monitoring, facility notifica-tions and mapping capabilities into one computer application..”
-State Director of Technical and
Regulatory Services Administration
Critical Data sharing to Counties
- All data is shared to metropolitan Counties.-Hundreds of hours are saved by compliance administrators at each local government.
- Access to updated chemical inventories is available online, along with updated Material Safety Data Sheets, Chemical Profiles and First Aid Profiles for first responders.
- Users have access to mapping of chemical sites,vulnerability assessments, vulnerability analysis.
- The system exports to CAMEO.
- The program leverages GIS technology from ESRI.
- Customization and Installation services are available.
- Support services include upgrades to Tier 2 Submit and Cameo.